Frequently asked questions
What does Investable actually do?
People often come to us looking for money. We help them determine what is preventing them from getting funding, and work on solving those problems, so that getting funding becomes a by-product of their efforts. When a company is “Investable”, often we work alongside them to help raise funds in our network, their network, and outside networks. Sometimes we also invest ourselves.However, we’re not a good fit if all you’re looking for is someone to go out and simply raise money for you or if you want us to invest in you before going through our process.To add a new question go to app settings and press "Manage Questions" button.
What types of companies does Investable work with?
2. Have raised money before and realize they need more bandwidth to help them through the process.
How do you help companies and founders?
• You have a clear development roadmap (where are you going and why)
• You have a strong, aligned team (great teams know where they’re going, and are pulling together to get there)
• You have a clear value proposition for investors (knowing and being able to explain how to make investors money)
• Strong communication skills (you know how to communicate your company’s value to your team, your investors, and your market)
• You are coachable (you know how to learn from advisers, your market, and your customers)
• You know your risks, and you share them authentically (and have plans to mitigate them)
How do you make money?
We don’t raise on commission. We charge a fee for our coaching and consulting services. But you should know that we keep our initial engagement fees low on purpose. We’re looking to help good businesses and people grow and succeed. We’re also looking for businesses that we might invest in ourselves and/or bring to our network if there is a good fit.we’re not in it for the money. There are much easier things we could do if our primary concern was our bottom line. But we really (really) like the work we do aligning and connecting founders and funders.
I don’t have the money to pay up front. Can I pay you out of the money I raise?
No. As we’re not broker/dealers we’re not exclusively sourcing investment money for you and so don’t work from a “finder’s fee”. Fundraising typically takes 6 or more months of in-depth effort. We want you to leverage our experience and framework to make that process more efficient and effective. If you’re not able to invest money and time into this side of your business than we’re not a good fit.
How do you know you can help me? Have you helped a company like mine?
Does Investable have a certain industry focus?
How are you different than a broker-dealer?
How are you different than an accelerator?
Will Investable guarantee that I will raise money?
No. Nobody can guarantee that. If they do, they are lying to you.
Why should I work with Investable? I think I can raise money myself.
Will Investable introduce me to investors?
• Investable’s network: We know a lot of investors. If you are investable, and put in the work to de-risk your company, then we will introduce you to investors.
• Your company’s network: Founders almost never fully activate their network. We help founders find and enroll great people in their network, in their advisors’ or board’s network, and in their existing investors’ network.
• The rest of the investment community: Our process helps you identify, out of the tens of thousands of investors, the investors that fit your company.
Will Investable invest in my company?
Of the 60 companies we’ve worked with, we’ve invested in 5. There is a lot more money out in the world than in our pockets – our goal is to help you find the best resources and investors, and most times it isn’t us.
How many companies has Investable helped raise money?
• They can raise less money, or raise money later, than they originally thought
• They can use different types of funding to reach their goals
• IF funding is the right path, companies sometimes still have a lot to work on to become investable
I’m not sure if I want to raise money, can Investable still help me and my company?
Will you help me make my pitch deck better?
Yes! We love helping founders craft their stories – as long as you don’t expect that is what is holding you back from getting investment. Investors don’t invest because you have a great pitch deck, they invest because your company works well, and you know how to make them money. However, we realize that effectively communicating these realities is still important.
How do you do engagements for clients that are out of state or the country?
We’ve successfully worked with companies across the nation and globally using various communication technologies. Some companies prefer to meet with us at our offices in Salt Lake City, Utah, or Los Angeles, California, and we always love meeting with them in person.
Tell me about your team.
We are a team of investors and entrepreneurs. Everyone on our team has started, scaled, invested, raised money for or exited their own business – and they are all here at Investable because they have been where you are right now and have so much that they can bring to your business to help it work better. Check out our Team page to get acquainted with our amazing group.
Tell me the timeline of your engagements?
Our initial engagements last between 1 and 3 months. Often, it makes sense to continue past the initial engagement and we structure partnerships individually when this occurs. We always start with this initial engagement as it is a structured due-diligence process. This process helps us uncover “blind spots” and also prepares you for introductions to investors.
What exactly is your process?
Will you pitch investors and/or raise money for me?
No. But we will work with you to refine your pitch and help you find investors. This is a good thing as investors want to hear from and speak with company founders. We also want to build capability into you and your team for future rounds. If you’re looking for someone to raise the money for you, we’re not a good fit.
What do you mean by “capital solutions”?
Why did you start Investable?
I need money “tomorrow”, how can Investable help?
It depends. Raising money takes, on average, 6+ months. Our focus is on making your business work better and making you more investable, rather than just finding you money. However, often we are able to help solve smaller immediate capital needs while helping companies prepare for larger raises.